Test Tube Spice Rack: Great Christmas DIY Gift

test tube spice rack

My lovely friend Kylie  made the cutest spice rack that I just have to show y’all. She got the idea first from Dean and Deluca {where theirs is $165!!!} and decided she could make her own for much cheaper.

Supplies:

• Spices of your choosing
  • Test tubes with cork
  • Sharpie for marking {or you could always print off a label as well}

DIY test tube spice rack

Process:

• Go to Etsy  and buy test tubes

• Make funnel and pour spices in

• Label spices accordingly

test tube spice rack

• Sit back and smile because you just made an adorable spice rack, DIY style

test tube spice rack

how to make a test tube spice rack

Her total cost of the whole project was only $18!!! Yes, she paid $35 for the tubes, but some she shared with a friend, and some she used for gifts. The awesome little wooden box she put them in cost her a whopping $2 at an estate sale. I personally think $18 sounds a whole lot better than $165, don’t you? Detail on the tubes: They hold 1/4 cup of spices in each one {with the cork in}, and you can fit a 1/4 tsp in the tube itself for easy measuring!

How rad are these babies?! I think they would be a great DIY Christmas gift for a cooking friend. Or another idea: if someone already has a great spice rack, make this for them with speciality spices. For instance, one that is filled with all different chili powders, or indian spices, etc. I would love it! Hint, hint…{just kidding Ky:) }

Comments

This is such a cool idea! I really want to make this for one of my friends! She’s a chemist getting married in the summer and this would be the perfect gift!

Great idea! I went to buy the test tubes on the link you posted for Etsy and they are on Chritmas vacation. BOO! I went on other etsy shops to see about other ones and I can’t determine if the size is right?? Thanks Adri! Oh and the toffee is AMAZING! I am doing a different recipe tonight that a client gave me…where you poor the toffee and then while its really hot you put 3 big hershey bars on top and swish them around until it melts into the toffee!! Sounds fun huh? yum

Thanks guys! I’m so glad y’all love it! I totally agree and think they are adorable!
    Jess-Kylie doesn’t know the exact size they were. She said they hold 1/4 a cup though if that helps . If the toffee you make is great be sure to give me the recipe please!!!
    Nicolette- I linked up to your party! Thanks for the tip!
    adri

I love this. It would look perfect on the counter. I’m hosting We’re Organized Wednesday until Saturday and would love for you to join the party. There’s a fun giveaway too. Hope to see you there.

SO clever! My SIL actually gave me the D & D one years ago and I love it, but always cringed at the price tag {I’ll be sure to hide this from her, LOL!}

P.S. It’s very fun to cook with test tubes – makes you feel like a mad scientist! :)

WOWOWOW!!! What a brilliant idea! I might have to try this! i’ve got so many random spices and herbs that could use a new home! Thanks for the idea!

Um yeah, your style is totally my style. If you hear something behind you, it’s just me following you. Wait that sounds creepy…

I like this project very much! I am a complete herbs and spices girl (expanding my herb garden this summer).

I just found some awesome test tubes at http://www.etsy.com/shop/PutACorkNit

All glass, pretty inexpensive, and she is really fast and responsive… I ordered a few, and in the notes said if she had more I would like to purchase them and she got back to me right away. So if you are looking for reasonably priced test tubes, go there!

Hi, I love the spice rack and was just wondering what the dimensions of the box were. I haven’t been able to find one the right size and want to make one similar to yours.

Thanks for such an interesting article here. I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I have found it